Seth Partnow joins the latest episode of Fastbreak Breakfast to talk analytics, DeMar DeRozan, and Ultimate Frisbee.
Seth Partnow (@sethpartnow), NBA analyst for The Athletic and former director of basketball research for the Bucks, joins for a discussion about the misuse of statistics by fans and podcasters (other podcasters, not this podcaster). Also, the conversation goes deeply into Ultimate Frisbee (or, just “ultimate” if you demand), so buckle up for that part.
Among the non-frisbee topics covered:
- What are the biggest drawbacks and misconceptions to net rating, on/off rating, and lineup data?
- Who are some players who might deserve larger roles, based on their statistical profiles?
- Do NBA teams use the same lineup data (stats.nba.com, Cleaning the Glass) that fans and bloggers have access to?
- What’s the deal with DeMar DeRozan and on/off rating always hating him? He shot an eye-popping 52.6 percent on field goals this season, are the Spurs truly better off without him?
- Are there any statistics to avoid?
- When does spectacular play equal bad play?
If you want to gain access to exclusive Fastbreak Breakfast bonus content including extra full episodes, go to Patreon.com/Fastbreakbreakfast. We believe in supporting the content we enjoy and also building relationships with our biggest fans, and all of that is accomplished at Patreon.com/Fastbreakbreakfast.
At the very least, consider writing a five-star review on Apple Podcasts!